Friday, July 8, 2011

Remembering...

You don't see this much anymore but driving by these irrigation sprinklers today brought a memory and a smile to me. When I grew up on our dairy farm this is how we irrigated our land - with a line of sprinklers. It was a job, and as a child for me it was part of my chores. My dad and older brother did the hard parts but it was my job to assist. First we'd shut the pump down, then the pipes would each need to be unhook. One end of the pipe would be lifted up - above my head if possible - to drain the remaining water out of the pipes.
After that each pipe in the line was moved by hand to the next dry section of the field. This was the hard part for me since I was still quite young. It was a lot of work to balance a 30 foot pipe with a sprinkler at one end. I have this memory of my daddy doing this so quickly and easily because he was so very strong. And it was wonderful to be the one who got to push the button for the pump and watch a straight line of sprinklers start up again. But that's nothing compared to the sound. To this day that is to me a wonderful sound. Great memory indeed!

1 comment:

Les Hon said...

Loved your memories of irrigation; they brought back mine. Hadn't thought about that for a long time...yet such a regular part of summer...A little too cold in the morning, felt good on a hot evening. We were so blessed to be farm girls!