Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dinner and a Rodeo

Last year Gary and Taryn went to the rodeo with John and Kay. I was not able to go because I was sick, but heard many stories of the amazing time they had. This year we decided to all go together on Saturday nite.

First we had a wonderful dinner on John and Kay's patio - fresh salmon, fresh corn-on-the-cob and fresh red fingerling potatoes.

The guys soaked a plank of apple wood and then cooked the salmon on it in the bbq. I cannot begin to tell you how good it was! It was a perfect summer evening too. After a quick clean up we left for the rodeo.

Gary, Taryn and I all had our genuine Texas cowboy boots on...and then I sawJohn and Kay had theirs on too. I got such a kick out of that!

It was open seating so important to get there early. Kay and I dropped the other three off and made a Starbucks run for some cowboy lattes. (ha ha)

Now, I have never been to a rodeo before and wasn't quite prepared for all the hands-over-my-eyes moments there would be. There's some rough stuff that happens there!

For example, I was not prepared for the very first bucking bronco to actually try to jump the 6 foot metal rail fence. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! He jumped and landed right on top of the fence. And I, in complete and utter shock, covered my face and curled up in a ball in my seat.

The horse eventually pulled himself over the rail with his front feet, cowboy intact and still on his back. Both appeared to be fine...but the metal rail fence and I were not - it was significantly bent, and I was nearly ready to leave. I couldn't watch it as it happening but Kay told me what was going on....and that everyone was alright.

Then lets talk about calf roping. Excuse me, but I saw one calf's head snap at the end of a rope and that was all I could watch. Again I covered my eyes and waited for that event to be over. And no, I can't explain the seeming happy little calf sweetly trotting off to the pen after getting its neck snapped like that.

Steer wrestling was a little less violent - and the victims were thankfully a bit older too. I watched most of that.

Mutton busting is a kick - very young children attempting to ride some big old nasty sheep. No bucking, just a lot of running.

Barrel racing rocks! ...and bull riding wasn't bad either.

The best parts for me were the latte and the visit with Kay...and maybe my cowboy boots. (I don't get to wear them very often, and it was fun for all of us to wear them together)

Back at the Eides we enjoyed fresh blackberry pie and ice cream. Summer fun is almost done. I can't believe school starts on Tuesday. Utterly depressing!

No comments: