Thursday, June 30, 2011

Get The Girl! - Part 1

Crazy excited to get the girl today, and loving this drive between Redding and Yreka - Lake Shasta, Mount Shasta, the cinder cone, Weed, Scott Valley - it's a wonderful drive. This horse's tail made me smile today too!


Every corner reveals another view Mt. Shasta that is absolutely stunning! You can't even imagine in the last two weeks how many different photos I have taken of Shasta - a book full!

This cinder cone near Shasta also fascinates me. I have been trying to research it - find a name for it, but so far no luck. It is huge and also very fun to see.


Another view of Mt. Shasta.


While driving thru Yreka towards JH last week I saw this huge bbq and commented to Taryn that this is a place the big guy would be stopping. Today as we were driving to Yreka he reminded me that I saw a bbq place there...and he's in the mood for bbq today. So we found Pat's


Ok, Pat and her husband are really nice people, but this right here was a bbq disaster on so many levels! I won't bore you with all the details why, but a main culprit was the sauce....all seven of them were, well tragic. I ended up taking some of the brisket with me and we had it the next nite with some Sweet Baby Rays and it was so much ridiculously better. We're a bit early for JH so thot we'd spend some time in the big city - Etna...the last civilization before JH.


Nestled in Scott Valley Etna CA is a kick in the pants! With a population of, oh just over 700 and dropping, it's a small town dream. JH makes regular stops here at the Scott Valley Drug for ice cream, and that is a memory for Gary from last year's father/daughter camp he did with Taryn, so since we had time he wanted to show me.


The soda fountain is actually quite wonderful...love the gorgeous oak unit.


And they have this wonderful player piano here. We didn't get to hear it, but Gary did last year and it was great. I now wonder if we had asked if they would have played it for us....hind site!



The pop served there is still syrup mixed by hand with soda water - quite charming, and they have a great selection of Breyers ice cream. We decided to go with an old fashioned strawberry soda. Watching her make this was so much fun for me...that was my high school job when I worked at the Big Scoop!



It was a most delicious memory! After the memory we drove thru town again looking at the old buildings and scouting out some old cars, and then we hit the road winding thru Scott Valley in to the Siskiyou Mountains to find our girl!

No comments: