Friday, September 5, 2008

Convention Reflections

I could never have imagined just how wonderful my trip to Minneapolis would be. I was so incredibly busy the week before I left, getting Taryn started in school and the purchase of our new horse, that I really hadn't prepared for this trip. And since this was one of the few trips I make where I didn't have a speaking or other commitment, I did no more than pack a bag and get on a plane.

The convention turned out to be so much more than I had ever imagined, and I am so thankful to both Larry and Luanne for this amazing opportunity..

I think it hit me the second day observing the convention that I was truly witnessing history. Palin made all the difference in the convention's success.

I have never been too jazzed about McCain. About a year and a half ago I was asked to meet with him and, as a conservative leader in Washington state, to ask him "the tough questions". It was an honor, but honestly he had burned one too many political bridges with me and I could not support him for president.

Things went from bad to worse as he pushed the failed amnesty bill last summer. He was/is way, way down on my personal list - but he did ultimately get the nomination, and I support John McCain for two reasons: life and judicial appointments.

I was not impressed with the names floated on his VP shortlist, with the exception of Bobby Jindal. I did hear Palin rumors, but doubted he had the courage to make such a choice, and rather feared he would continue to thumb his nose at the conservative base. I have never been so happy to be wrong.

Sarah was a bold choice and I commend him for making it. Honestly I think even he has been a bit shocked by the level of the positive reaction he received.

This has clarified so distinctly for people who they want in the White House. The excitement that left Minneapolis is now energizing the people across our nation and we're gonna rock this thing!

No comments: